Up to 82 job seekers across the Sandgate electorate will be able to access training programmes to help find work, thanks to the Palaszczuk Government’s latest round of funding under the successful Skilling Queenslanders for Work initiative.
Member for Sandgate, Stirling Hinchliffe, said $761,200 had been allocated in this latest round, which will help local organisations run training programmes to get people into jobs.
On Friday he joined Sandbag CEO Alisa Hall and All About Living CEO Davis Worsnop, two local organisations to be awarded funding for programmes, to inspect work being performed by Skilling Queenslanders for Work Participants.
“So far, more than 9,000 Queenslanders have gained jobs as a direct result of Skilling Queenslanders for Work,” he said.
“The Palaszczuk Government is committed to getting people into jobs, and that is why we reinstated the initiative after it was scrapped by the former LNP Newman-Nicholls Government.
“Our Government is funding another three projects across the Sandgate electorate, which would help get more locals into secure employment.”
Mr Hinchliffe also said that this round included new projects - Linking Skills to Community, The Carers Consortium and Building our Community - which would deliver for the local area.
“Each project responds to the needs of local job seekers and local employers to develop the skilled, job ready workers needed to grow our economy and benefit the wider community,” Mr Hinchliffe said.
“Skilling Queenslanders for Work has delivered strongly for locals and it was inspiring to discuss the cooperation it is supporting between great local organisations like Sandbag and All About Living.
Minister for Training and Skills, Yvette D’Ath, said a total $33.9 million had been allocated across the state as part of the latest round of funding under Skilling Queenslanders for Work.
“This funding will go to 191 projects to assist 7,125 job seekers who are struggling to find secure and long term employment and put them on the right path to training and ultimately into jobs,” Mrs D’Ath said.
“Today we are also announcing that applications for the next round of funding are now open.
“Since the Palaszczuk Government reinstated Skilling Queenslanders for Work, we have invested $168.9 million to help train those who are unemployed or underemployed, young people, mature-age job seekers, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people, people with a disability and people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds.
“So far across Queensland we have seen 14,121 people complete a training programme under Skilling Queenslanders for Work. Of those, 64 per cent, or 9,026 have gained employment, 2,288 have gone onto further training and 345 have returned to school.
“These figures prove that this programme is working and is making a real difference to people’s lives.”
Organisations can apply for the next round of funding online: www.training.qld.gov.au/sqw.
More information is available at the above website or by calling 1300 369 935.